Meet Dr. Johnson
Dr. David Johnson was born and raised in Northern Kentucky and he completed his undergraduate and medical education in his home state. Dr. Johnson has been fortunate to practice ophthalmology in his new adopted state of Colorado since 1985.
Dr. Johnson knew a career in medicine was for him after completing an externship with a plastic surgeon during his undergraduate years in Lexington, KY. He fell in love with ophthalmology during his second year of medical school, again coming under the influence of mentors in the Department of Ophthalmology at the University of Louisville, KY.
Dr. Johnson also met the love of his life, Theresa, during medical school, and they have been happy to share the adventure of marriage and raising two wonderful daughters here in Colorado.
Dr. Johnson began his career at the University of Colorado Department of Ophthalmology as a faculty member, eventually serving as Residency Program Director. Mentors Philip Ellis, MD and Kenneth Hovland, MD led Dr. Johnson into the beginning of a fulfilling career as a vitreo-retinal surgeon. As Dr. Ellis often jokingly said, “You don’t have to be very smart to be a retina surgeon, you just have to have a strong back”.
Dr. Johnson joined Douglas Holmes, MD in private practice in 1998, and the foundation of what would become Colorado Retina Associates, PC was begun. After many years of collegial relationships and call coverage with like-minded retinal surgeons, twelve doctors from three separate practices eventually merged in 2006 to form Colorado Retina.
Dr. Johnson has been called the “Okay-est” golfer by many playing partners, and he continues the quest for a lower handicap. He also enjoys music and playing guitar.
- Transylvania University, Lexington, KY. Summa Cum Laude
- University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville, KY. Magna Cum Laude
- Presbyterian/Saint Luke’s Medical Center, Denver, CO
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO.
- Preceptor: Kenneth R. Hovland, MD 1991-1992
- American Board of Ophthalmology 1990
- National Board of Medical Examiners 1986
- Colorado State Board of Medical Examiners 1986
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Residency Director (1992-1998)
- Colorado Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons, President (2002-2003)
- Counselor to the American Academy of Ophthalmology (2003-2011)
- AAO OPHTHPAC committee 2016-2021
- Director, AAO Leadership Development Program, 2009-2012
- AAO Secretariat Award
- AAO Senior Achievement Award
- AAO Life Fellow
Getting to Know Dr. Johnson
Reviews for Dr. Johnson
“I am a new patient with this clinic. I was extremely impressed by the people who greeted me at the front desk. They were very professional and welcoming. Dr Johnson was excellent. He has a calm demeanor, and I appreciated his care. I would highly recommend this practice.”— Tamlyn
“I have been going to see Dr Dave Johnson at Colorado Retina Associates for more than 5 years now. He really saved my eyesight. I had a macular wrinkle in one eye and the beginning of one in the other eye. He carefully explained the procedure to me and calmed my concerns. The procedures were performed, and my vision was like new. I have been doing annual follow-ups to make sure all is well—and it is. I give Dr Dave and his practice my highest recommendation. He has become a dear friend to me. Thanks Dave!!!”— Allen
“All experiences with them have been very professional, highly supportive, and extremely helpful. Dr. Johnson is quietly competent and provides fantastic care.”— Cody